Dzhokar Tsarnaev In Custody, Alive

Breaking news from the seige: the suspect Dzhokar Tsarnaev is in custody as of ~8:42 pm. As WaPo reports, he is alive but badly injured, as there was a lit fire in boat where was is hiding.

Suspect in custody. Officers sweeping the area. Stand by for further info.

— Boston Police Dept. (@Boston_Police) April 20, 2013

CAPTURED!!! The hunt is over. The search is done. The terror is over. And justice has won. Suspect in custody.

— Boston Police Dept. (@Boston_Police) April 20, 2013

Boston Marathon bombing suspect in custody in #Watertown; ambulance rushing to scene

— The Boston Globe (@BostonGlobe) April 20, 2013

“We got him” #oneboston…

— Mayor Tom Menino (@mayortommenino) April 20, 2013

Live coverage, from Bloomberg for a change this time

BREAKING: Suspect is believed to have suffered a gunshot wound, Boston Police tell NBC News

— NBC Nightly News (@nbcnightlynews) April 20, 2013

BREAKING: Suspect has gunshot wound to the neck, and gunshot wound to the leg. In serious condition @cbsnews

— Breaking911 (@Breaking911) April 20, 2013

It’s official:

Some more from the WSJ:

Authorities captured a 19-year-old college student suspected in the deadly Boston Marathon bombings after one of the biggest manhunts in U.S. history paralyzed an entire metropolis.


Police and Federal Bureau of Investigation agents converged on a house in the Boston suburb of Watertown late Friday, and apprehended Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, one of two brothers alleged to have exploded two homemade bombs in downtown Boston, killing three people and injuring more than 175. Images of the suspect were shown all day on national TV and online and online.


Authorities halted public transportation, closed schools and advised residents to stay locked indoors for much of Friday during the manhunt.


Mr. Tsarnaev had escaped capture after leaving behind his older brother, 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who was killed in a firefight with police early Friday. The brothers, carrying an arsenal of explosives, fired guns and threw pipe bombs in the fight after an overnight crime spree that left dead an officer of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, authorities said. The Federal Bureau of Investigation had interviewed Tamerlan Tsarnaev in 2011 at the request of the Russian government, but it found no suspicious evidence and closed the matter, a U.S. official said.

A map breaking down the day’s events via the WSJ:


And the full chronological sequence of events, courtesy of this interactive series from the Boston Globe:


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.